Bendigo Heritage Attractions is the trading name of The Bendigo Trust which was established in 1970 as a response to the Bendigo City Council’s plan to restore, conserve and manage the Central Deborah Gold Mine.
Since then, Bendigo Heritage Attractions has continued to run the Central Deborah Gold Mine, while overseeing some of Bendigo’s other cherished historic assets, including:
- Bendigo Tramways, which had operated in Bendigo since 1890; and
- The Bendigo Joss House Temple, a Chinese place of worship, opened in 1871.
Bendigo Heritage Attractions also has some responsibility for the Bendigo Gasworks, closed in 1973, and Victoria Hill, the site of some of the earliest gold workings in Bendigo from the 1850s.
Interestingly, Bendigo Heritage Attractions was responsible for the establishment of Bendigo’s first Visitor Information Centre, a service now provided by Bendigo Tourism, and from September 2002 – July 2015, Bendigo Heritage Attractions took responsibility for the Discovery Science & Technology Centre, one of the premier regional science centres in the country, and the oldest centre outside a metropolitan area.
City of Greater Bendigo
Bendigo Heritage Attractions works closely with the City of Greater Bendigo in the running of all of its tourism sites. While Bendigo Heritage Attractions oversees the daily operations of these attractions, it is the City of Greater Bendigo who owns many of the physical assets.
Bendigo Heritage Attractions is a Quality Tourism Accredited Business, demonstrating that we are committed to exceeding consumer expectations with great customer service and the highest standards of business practise.