The Chinese zodiac calendar is a repeating cycle of 12 years, originating from astrology due to the 12 full moons in a year. Each year within the cycle is represented by an animal and its reputed attributes.
Traditionally these zodiac animals were used to date the year. Depending on what year you were born, the characteristics of the associated animal are deemed to be a representation of your personality traits and how you are perceived by others.
However, it is not just the associated animal that can determine a person’s characteristics.
There are also five elements within the Chinese Zodiac; Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water. It is believed that these elements not only affect a person’s destiny but also make the universe and its creatures constantly cycle.
The five elements are set in a specific order, as one creates or controls the next. For example; wood makes fire burn, fire creates earth, earth bears metal, metal runs water and water makes wood grow.
Each animal sign is attributed one of the five elements, depending on the year that the sign occurs.
Find your year of birth on the table below to discover which animal and its associated element is a representation of yourself.
Don’t forget that Chinese New Year doesn’t fall on 1 January. If you are born in January or February, just check when Chinese New Year fell during the year you were born to ensure you have aligned the correct year with your birth.
Based on your animal these are considered to be your key traits
- RAT: Intelligent, adaptable, quick-witted, charming, artistic, sociable.
- OX: Loyal, reliable, thorough, strong, reasonable, steady, determined.
- TIGER: Enthusiastic, courageous, ambitious, leadership, confidence, charismatic.
- RABBIT: Trustworthy, empathic, modest, diplomatic, sincere, sociable, caretakers, sensitive.
- DRAGON: Lucky, flexible, eccentric, imaginative, artistic, spiritual, charismatic.
- SNAKE: Philosophical, organised, intelligent, intuitive, elegant, attentive, decisive.
- HORSE: Adaptable, loyal, courageous, ambitious, intelligent, adventurous, strong.
- SHEEP: Tasteful, crafty, warm, elegant, charming, intuitive, sensitive, calm.
- MONKEY: Quick-witted, charming, lucky, adaptable, bright, versatile, lively, smart.
- ROOSTER: Honest, energetic, intelligent, flamboyant, flexible, diverse, confident.
- DOG: Loyal, sociable, courageous, diligent, steady, lively, adaptable, smart.
- PIG: Honourable, philanthropic, determined, optimistic, sincere, sociable.
And your associated element contributes the following traits:
- WOOD: Exceptionally gifted, idealists and planners
- WATER: Sympathetic, perfectionist, coordinator
- FIRE: Courageous, passionate, good at research
- EARTH: Kindness, tolerant, honest, leader
- METAL: Determined, persistent, workaholic, manager